Friday, June 12, 2009

Gathering of the Tribe

Do you feel it? It is a feeling that starts in each one of us. It's a feeling of urgency; a feeling of expectancy; a feeling of excitement. Many of us who seem to be very like-minded are finding one another on the Internet through social networking or in the business community at get-togethers and functions. We are a part of the inevitable change of our times. The solar power industry has been around for a long time, as have some of those people being drawn together. Solar has always been "cool," but it's also been mostly impractical, unaffordable or just plain too technical -- at least, that's the way it's been for me until the last three years. For me, it started with a viewing of An Inconvenient Truth in late 2006.

My initial response after viewing An Inconvenient Truth was more about Al Gore and the 2000 Presidential election. I was haunted with the thought of how much different the world would be today if the Supreme Court had gone the other way. Today I believe that sometimes things must fall apart before they can fall together. Anyway, after viewing An Inconvenient Truth, my pathway to solar began by passionately working to convince Al Gore to again run for President. I was one of the hundreds of thousands of "Goristas" carrying the Draft Gore banner though 2007. Then, after the call came from Gore's office asking that we stop, I shifted my passion to the Biden campaign and then to the Obama campaign. In October 2008, with the election assured, I attended the solar tradeshow in San Diego.

Wow. Walking the aisles of the solar show took me back to some of the Internet tradeshows I attended more than a decade before. The aisles were jammed and there was a palpable air of confidence among the exhibitors. Speaking with the folks who were putting on the event, I found that they had turned away nearly 500 exhibitors, having only contracted for space for about 425 exhibitors. I immediately realized that my passion for solar had been awakened at the same time I got swept up in the Presidential campaign. I was excited to have found a new channel for my passion.

Since then, I am encountering others who have a similar passion for solar. There is a solar tribe. There's Ken Oatman who was previously involved in the distribution industry and started up a top-notch solar installation business in the Boulder-Denver area. He's embracing microinverters as the best way to go in designing residential solar solutions. Then there's Tor Valenza, who many will know as "Solar Fred." Tor has been in the industry for nearly 30 years and is one of the leaders of our tribe. I totally relate to the 1BOG people, who, like me, were walking neighborhoods for Obama. Today, they are walking neighborhoods for solar power. And then there is my good friend Michael Powers and his partner Kent Harle. They are the founders of one of the best solar installation firms in California, Stellar Solar and the two of them demonstrate to me constantly that solar power is a bi-partisan proposition that we all can agree on. This is but a small cross-section of the solar tribe. Some of our tribe have been here awhile. Some are just arriving. We are coming together at Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and in our respective communities, just to name a few examples.

Each of us plays a different role - installer, wholesaler, consultant, financier - but together we all have the same job to do: to change the way the world thinks about solar. Coming from the Internet/software development industry, I like to say, "We need to put a better GUI on solar power." Solar needs a better user interface. I believe it is the mission of our tribe to do this. Within our circles, we are just "preaching to the choir." Together as a choir, we need to get the word into mainstream and change the paradigm from that of purchasing solar panels to purchasing solar power. Together we need to make acquiring solar power as easy as signing up for cable and DirectTV. Together we need to tear down the walls preventing access to solar power. We must tear the walls all the way down.

So the tribe is being called. Many have heard the call. It's about cooperation, not competition. It's about a movement where we can express our passion and earn a living along the way. So, when you see someone's blog or Tweet or an article that forwards our message or stimulates more creative thinking, pass it on. Together, let's make history.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: